[pmwiki-users] Newsletters and Maillists

The Editor editor at fast.st
Tue Jun 20 14:33:41 CDT 2006

Hi all,

I'm exploring some different options for my newsletters and discussion
lists, and remember reading somewhere that PmWiki could be used for
newsletters.  Can someone give me a pointer where to look for
information on how that could be done?

I suppose there could be a way members could signup for
notifications/mailposts, and then use that group for newsletter
postings (thus, automatically archiving them). If the group was
non-editable it could be a broadcast newsletter, if it was editable,
member could use it to post to the group.  Anyway, I assume that's the
way it is done, as I haven't seen any more specific recipes.  Three
questions though:

1) Is this method feasible for large lists of perhaps a few thousand
members, or too slow?  Is there a way to space it out, like 400
messages/hour, etc?

2) Is there any way to somehow have incoming emails, perhaps with a
username/password combo in the subject, to automatically post to a
page (thus enabling a person to post by email rather than manually
editing a page).

3) How easy is it for members to auto subscribe/unsubscribe themselves
to a particular page/group?  Some kind of special markup?

I've been looking around at other systems for mailing list management,
but haven't found really what I want.  I have really grown attached to
PmWiki, and would just as soon it as a platform for the whole shebang
if possible.  I realize its generally best to use the right tool for
the right job, but then again, I always did like swiss army knives!

Cheers,
Caveman

PS.  Do notifications just send notice of a change, or the actual text
of the page?