[pmwiki-users] DBauth question

The Editor editor at fast.st
Mon Jun 26 20:45:50 CDT 2006

Hi all!

On a related note... I'm wondering if someone could give me more
detailed information about using dbauth for user authentication.
Namely, how do I create the database and what exactly do I need to do
to link to it. The instructions seemed a bit sparse.

Also, is there someway to automatically write to it from within
PmWiki? I'm using a modified version of the FAST Membership
(newuser.php) recipe which writes the user name and password to a
htpasswd file, and was wondering if I couldn't just change a line or
two to have it write to the database instead. My current system works
fine, but is a htpasswd file really plausible if you have say a 1000
users?  Or would it be a bit slow?

I suppose there's no reason you couldn't have multiple fields in the
database for each user.  And you could write to them in exactly the
same way.  But how hard would it be to retrieve some specific database
variable for a given user on a page?  And lastly, are there some
wiki-based admin interface for editing the database, or would it all
have to be manually edited?

Thanks for any information anyone has on these questions.

Cheers,
Caveman