[pmwiki-users] DBauth question

Jason Frisvold xenophage0 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 27 10:50:35 CDT 2006

On 6/27/06, Marc Cooper <gmane at auxbuss.com> wrote:
> It's in my plan, but I don't know about Ben's for authuser_dbase.
>
> I was going to use an array in the user row, but I came up with a good
> reason for making it a separate table, which escapes me at the moment -
> probably something to do with the user admin stuff I have in mind.

Yes, please..  a separate table is best, imo..  At least, thats the
way I have things right now in my databases..  I don't like stuffing
arrays into coumns..

> Yes, after which it will use Site.AuthForm - authuser_dbase does this.
> It's just a lot easier to amend, and more PmWiki-ish, imo.

I will check this out..  :)

> Oh, sadly I a bit about normalizing a database - things from a previous
> life. However, when you start pulling stuff in from various processes -
> authentication, authorization, customer care, sales tracking, finance,
> etc. - you often end up building bridges or end up with SQL from hell;
> it works, but no-one else can understand it and neither can you a month
> or two later. A negligible performance hit is often a good trade off for
> easier maintenance, imo - YMMV.

Yeah, it definitely depends on the tables you need to create, why,
etc..  I've seen some really nasty database designs..  In fact,
there's a database design for an accounting package (multi-million
dollar package, btw) that will just plain boggle your mind.  It's so
bad that they created a large poster sized UML style view of the
database.  It's about 4'x4' and still barely legible.  Boggled my
mind...

> It's a familiar place, eh? It'll all be fine in a day (or week) or two,
> but right now I'm wandering around like a native and suddenly the lights
> go out ;-)

I try to bring matches and candles.  :)

--
Jason 'XenoPhage' Frisvold