[pmwiki-users] DBauth question

Dominique Faure dominique.faure at gmail.com
Thu Jun 29 15:48:36 CDT 2006

On 6/27/06, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:

> > There is a limitation to the number of users you can have in that
> > file.  I forget the exact number, but when you run into it, you likely
> > won't know and it will drive you crazy trying to figure out whats
> > going on.  Basically, once you hit that magic number, any additional
> > users won't authenticate..  Really frustrating.
>
> There may be a limit on the size of .htpasswd for apache, but PmWiki
> shouldn't have any such limitation.

These limitations rumors led me to have a look at apache's source code
(httpd-2.0.58), and I can confirm what there's no other limitations in
htpasswd handling than user record line length (aka 8192 chars!).

Concerning PmWiki, the maximum user record line length is reduced to
1024 chars both for 'script/authuser.php' and
'cookbook/htpasswdform.php'. In all the case, a lot more than required
to read a userid and a password...
...you should perhaps increase the max_execution_time of your php configuration.

Regards,
Dom