[pmwiki-users] Putting ".html" extensions onto pages

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Mar 1 11:52:30 CST 2006

On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 08:44:28AM -0600, Jonathan Scott Duff wrote:
> [...]
> http://www.susan.com/wiki/Main/WhoAmI
> http://www.susan.com/wiki/Main/WhoAmI.html
>
> PmWiki will treat them equivalently.
>
> However, your email does twiddle my brain a bit.  Assuming for the
> moment that PmWiki ignores a .html suffix, should it also ignore a
> .htm suffix?  Seems like there should be a user-defined array of
> suffixes to ignore.

I already thought of this and somewhat rejected it as ultimately
going against PmWikiPhilosophy #3 ("avoid gratuitous features").
Here's the progression:

   1.  Let's ignore ".html" extensions on complete pagenames.

   2.  No, wait, why limit this to just the ".html" suffix?  Let's
       have an array of suffixes that can be ignored.

   3.  No, wait, why just *ignore* the suffixes?  Let's provide a
       generic mechanism to do full pagename mangling in any way that
       the administrator wishes to mangle them.

at which point I start to feel like it's overkill for the limited
purpose I'm trying to achieve.  (Plus, one can already do full pagename
mangling in config.php w/o PmWiki having to provide additional support
for it.)

So, for now I'm just going to take the simple approach
(ignore ".html" at the end of pagenames), if we need to generalize
it to a larger array of patterns I'll do it when there's a need
for it.  :-)