[pmwiki-users] Burnt! Simultaneous edit lost :-(

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Mar 2 14:19:22 CST 2006

On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 11:28:49AM +0100, Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> Patrick R. Michaud schrieb:
> >
> > Yes, this is a known bug -- I just haven't had a good opportunity
> > to fix it yet.
>
> How about a "simplistic diff3 substitute"?
> I.e. PmWiki should simply assume that both edits changed everything.
> That would give wikitext like this:
>    <<<<<<
>    Page as saved by author 1
>    ======
>    Page as saved by author 2
>    >>>>>>
> It will still be awkward to merge everything manually, but at least
> authors don't lose their edits. And it should be easy to implement, as a
> stop-gap measure until you get around to implementing a better fix.

More likely is that I'll simply return the page as the author
submitted it, but with a message that says "this page changed while
you were editing it" with perhaps a link to display the new version
of the page in another window.

Or, perhaps we leave the textarea alone, but provide a second
(read-only) textarea that displays the markup source of the
changed page for comparison purposes.

Or, perhaps we leave the textarea alone, and display the page
history (i.e., "?action=diff") of the changes that occurred
during the edit.

I kinda like this last idea.  It might even be worthwhile to
display the page history even when the merge does succeed,
since otherwise it's not at all obvious what changed if there
weren't any conflicts.