[pmwiki-users] pmwiki-2.1.beta35 released, final steps to 2.1.0

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Mar 5 18:11:00 CST 2006

I've just released pmwiki-2.1.beta35, now available from

    http://www.pmwiki.org/pub/pmwiki/pmwiki-2.1.beta35.tgz
    http://www.pmwiki.org/pub/pmwiki/pmwiki-2.1.beta35.zip
    svn://pmwiki.org/pmwiki/tags/latest

Several releases have come out since the last announcement, so
I'll summarize the recent changes here.

First, beta35 once again restructures the internal code used to determine
authorized access to pages.  The new code is much cleaner and should
be much faster (important for pagelists).  I did a fair amount of testing
of the new code in a variety of configurations, but there's always the
possibility that something is not quite right, so it's worth paying
a little extra care and testing here if passwords are critical to your
site.

Hopefully this will be the last time I muck with the authorization
code for quite a while.  :-)

On the good side, the new authorization code allows us to have
a Site.SideBar in the distribution that uses the sitewide edit
password(s) instead of defaulting to "nopass".  This eliminates the
problem where people could (maliciously) edit the Site.SideBar pages
on new sites even when a sitewide edit password had been set.

I've also updated the AuthUser documentation -- more on this in
the next message (to pmwiki-users).

*** With the changes made in beta34 and beta35, I think the only major
steps remaining for the 2.1.0 release are to clean up the PmWiki
documentation.  Any help that others can provide on this task would
be greatly appreciated.  ***

Some other changes in recent releases:

A bug that would cause authors to lose edits when simultaneous edits
weren't functioning has been fixed.  In addition, there's a new
Cookbook:SimultaneousEdits recipe that gives edit merge capabilities
for non-Unix systems and systems that cannot access the "diff3" command.

Conditional markup can now support complex expressions, such as

   (:if [ group PmWiki and !authid ] :) ... (:if:)

Thanks go to D. Faure for building the code and concept for this.

The GUI button images have been updated to have a transparent edge
instead of a solid white/grey edge.

As always, comments and suggestions are greatly welcomed.