[pmwiki-users] EditGettingStarted (was: TextFormattingRules and BasicEditing)

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Tue Mar 7 19:57:13 CST 2006

On Wednesday, 8 March 2006 1:59 PM, Neil Herber <nospam at eton.ca> wrote:
>At 2006-03-08  12:14 PM +1300, John Rankin is rumored to have said:
>>Comments and changes welcome. If you think a markup needs to be
>>added, consider what could be removed.
>
>I like the page, but thought that lists and paragraphs needed to be
>separated. Changed.

Could you explain why?

As Bronwen pointed out, people familiar with word processors are
often used to Paragraph and Character styles. A list is a collection
of paragraphs in that model. Some word processors, such as AbiWord,
distinguish lists from other types of paragraph, but these are not
widely used. So for consistency with the wider world, I think lists
belong under paragraphs. As discussed earlier, 'Paragraph' is much
better than 'Block'.

For getting started, "Paragraphs, Characters and Links" seems like
a good list (note the use of 'list' in this context). Separating out
lists seems like an unnecessary complication that could cause
confusion, but that's just me.

And here is a http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/MarkupMasterIndex-Draft
I have put lists as a sub-heading under paragraphs.

This page still needs more work, but again, comments before
going further.

--
JR