[pmwiki-users] Problems with setting up farms?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Mar 8 07:59:29 CST 2006

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 07:48:00PM -0500, The Editor wrote:
> Trying to take the next step and set up some farms (I have several
> sites I want to switch over) but can only seem to get a blank screen.
> Any suggestions? Here's what I did.
>
> 1. Created a top-level folder called localhost/fastwiki
>
> 2. Created a folder inside this called system (for the farm), and a
> sister folder called fastmissions (for my first field).
>
> 3. In the system folder I have
> 	pmwiki.php
> 	/cookbook (and all my recipes)
> 	/local (with farmconfig.php in it)
> 	/pub
> 		/skins... (don't use any external css or guiedit)
> 	/scripts
> 	/wikilib.d
>
> 4. My farmconfig.php simply says:
>
> 	<?php if (!defined('PmWiki')) exit();
> 	      $FarmPubDirUrl = 'http://localhost/fastwiki/system/pub';

Just to verify: the standalone cookbook recipe doesn't know how to do
farms -- the above will work only if there's a "real" webserver
running on localhost that knows how to map the /fastsystem/system/pub
url path into the correct filesystem location.

> 5. In my test folder I have
> 	index.php
> 	/local (with config.php in it)
> 	/wiki.d
>
> 6. My index.php file says
>
> 	<?php include('localhost/fastwiki/system/pmwiki.php'); ?>

This is probably incorrect; assuming your "test folder" is a sister
folder to the system/ folder, the include file should read

    <?php include('../system/pmwiki.php');

Or, just use the full path name to the system folder.

> 7. My config.php says:
>
> 	<?php if (!defined('PmWiki')) exit();
> 	$ScriptUrl = 'http://localhost/fastwiki/system/pmwiki.php';
> 	$PubDirUrl = 'http://localhost/fastwiki/fastmissions';

You probably won't need to set these, but if you do, then
$ScriptUrl needs to be set to the url used to access the field
(not the farm).  Thus (assuming the field is in a folder called 'test'):

    $ScriptUrl = 'http://localhost/fastwiki/test/index.php';
    $PubDirUrl = 'http://localhost/fastwiki/test/pub';

> The idea was for me to be able to install a new field very easily just
> by copying over a template and tweaking, but as I said, all I get now
> is a blank screen. Help?

This is how farms/fields are supposed to work -- once things are set
up, a field can be created by copying over a template directory.

Hope this helps,