[pmwiki-users] PmWiki/ConditionalMarkup

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Mar 8 16:44:13 CST 2006

On 3/8/06, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> > Also, indenting a block
> >
> >         like this, with leading spaces
> >
> > is skin-unfriendly and cut-and-paste unfriendly.
>
> I'm not sure that I understand why it's 'skin unfriendly'.  If
> anything, skins should be able to support lines with leading
> spaces (it's been defined in the markup since pmwiki-0.1.0 :-).

I didn't mean to imply that it's "not supported", just that it's unfriendly...

... because the margin for indents, controlled by CSS, varies from skin to skin.

... because some skins use background colors and borders for
reformatted text, and the left side of the block is either indented or
not.

... because the number of leading spaces the author chooses to use
varies, resulting in various left-margins.  This isn't primarily
skin-related, but to some extent it is because "the right amount" of
indenting looks different from skin to skin.

Here you can see how the "spaces" method can mess up indentation when
a list is mixed with indented blocks.  The relative location of the
block "jumps around".

http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/ReleaseNotes?skin=monobook
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/ReleaseNotes?skin=plain
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/ReleaseNotes?skin=simple

So there it is, plain (skin) and simple (skin).  :-)

> I've preferred the leading spaces because it's generally author friendly.

Unless the author is trying to paste PHP code and doesn't realize the
leading spaces can be detrimental.  It may have been what happened
here:

http://pmichaud.com/pipermail/pmwiki-users/2006-March/024439.html

Prior to the 2.0 release I reformatted a whole bunch of blocks in the
documentation pages so they'd look good in any skin.  Maybe that was a
mistake?

Hagan