[pmwiki-users] Building the 2.1.0 documentation

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Mar 9 00:13:10 CST 2006

As I mentioned briefly in the previous announcement, the 2.1.beta
series is now basically finished with the exception of finalizing
any pages that go in the distribution (documentation, Site.* pages,
etc.) and making sure it all works properly.

My current plan, barring any major catastrophes, is to release
2.1.0 this Saturday night, and whatever state the documentation
happens to be in at that time, that's what gets put into 2.1.0.

Of course, 2.1.0 isn't the final release of PmWiki, and we'll
continue to add and improve documentation and add key features
in the 2.1.1, 2.1.2, etc. releases that come after that.  I just
think 2.1 is ready to come out of beta, and I figure a deadline
will help get to that stage.

To help us all see what the distribution will finally look like,
I've set up a "release candidate mirror" installation of PmWiki at
http://www.pmwiki.org/rc/pmwiki.php.  The rc installation is
intended to let us all see what the distribution of pmwiki
will ultimately look like.   It has a few "different" things, however:

1.  The logo is backwards, so that we can tell when we're looking
    at the mirror site versus the main PmWiki site.

2.  All of the pages in the mirror site are read only (?action=edit
    doesn't do anything, and the "Edit" link is struck out).  Each
    page is read from its corresponding page on pmwiki.org.  Thus,
    as we make changes to the documentation on pmwiki.org, we can
    instantly see the effect it's having on the rc mirror (and
    ultimately the release).

3.  Even though the mirror site gets its pages from pmwiki.org,
    only those pages that are actually part of the release are
    displayed.  Thus, we can see where there are broken links,
    missing pages, and/or orphans in the distribution.

4.  The refcount.php module is enabled on the site.

5.  It has its own Site.SideBar (the one on pmwiki.org is
    specific to pmwiki.org) -- I'll set up something to let us
    edit this one if we need to.

So, what are the ground rules for improving the documentation?
As far as I'm concerned, there aren't a lot of restrictions to
what people can do here.  New pages can be added, existing pages
can get renamed, entire sets of pages can be refactored -- whatever
is needed to improve the documentation is fair game over the next
several days.  It's perfectly okay if things get a bit messy or
broken on pmwiki.org while we're updating things and moving them
around.

If a page needs to be added to, removed from, or renamed in the
release candidate mirror (and thus the distribution), just send me
an email and I'll take care of it.  Same if we need to change a
local customization in the rc mirror.

It's also a good idea to be familiar with the documentation guidelines
at http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/DocumentationGuidelines .

If there are any questions, feel free to put them in the pages
or ask the list.  If something needs my specific attention, just
put it in the [[!Update me]] category or send an email.

Thanks,