[pmwiki-users] Spam control

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Sat Mar 11 11:40:52 CST 2006

At 2006-03-10  02:46 AM -0800, Carlos AB is rumored to have said:
>I was wondering, why not create a space for people that would like to
>spam a site , to do it in a proper way or in a way that won't hurt (bug)
>the admins, users and the content of a PmWiki site.

... snip ...

>How many of the site admins  in this list feel about this idea?

Carlos

I think this is a very bad idea.

Any of the spammers I have had to deal with have no interest in
playing by any rules. They either want to flood the wiki with links
to gambling/porn/pharmacy/click-for-pay sites or they want to find a
way to take over the server. I have had very few vandals on my sites.

Based on this experience, I want to make it as hard as possible for
spammers to do anything on my sites (I run a PmWiki farm) without
inconveniencing the legitimate users. For many of the sites, I use
Apache Basic Authentication to restrict the users to a known group. I
have no "internal" protection on these sites, because the users are
all trusted. The one exception is that I have some admin pages locked
to everyone but me.

On the public sites (best example: http://neil.eton.ca/wiki/ ) I lock
many groups to editing and use the Blocklist2 script to catch
spammers on the open groups. So far, it has done an excellent job.

If you do provide a "spammers area"  on your wiki, I would be *very*
interested in hearing about how well it works for you.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668