[pmwiki-users] OT: Web Server Processors

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Sun Mar 12 14:38:47 CST 2006

We are trying to evaluate requirements for a new web server. The
processor speed is an unknown to us, which to choose and why. I see
lots of comments on the web for use of

Intel 4  3mgz; inter 4 3mgz HT ("Hyper threaded"); Xeon Dual

The bottom line is, if your applications *can* make use of two
processor and are multi-threaded, then a dual processor is helpful.
If you are not using such applications, then having a dual processor
doesn't mean anything.

But, this assumes a high level of knowledge on the part of the
"client" about the applications in use on the web server. If he
doesn't know, he's still in the dark.  In this context we are only
interested in the performance of four apps

Apache
Revolution
PHP (mod_php)
QT streaming

as it relates single or dual processors. Will any of these four put
the second processor to work if the first one is topped out?

Since this is way OT (almost but not quite, completely) email me off
list. Thanks!

Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications
at Kauai's Hindu Monastery