[pmwiki-users] Failure, if uses WGET on a wiki-page?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Mar 14 07:34:25 CST 2006

On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 09:17:36AM +0100, Daniel Hofer wrote:
> > Could mod_security be enabled on your server?  To quote Pm,
>
> yes, it seems to be loaded, I find it in "loaded modules".
> Is there a problem if I don't load this module?

I agree with Hagan and Jo that mod_security is the likely culprit
here.

As to whether it's a problem to disable the module, that will
depend on what other applications you are running on the server.
If you're just running PmWiki, then disabling mod_security shouldn't
be much of a problem.  But if you're running other web-based apps
on the server, you may want to leave mod_security in place and
just disable it for PmWiki.

Depending on the content you're writing, a workaround might be
to break up the offending word, as in:

    wg[=et=] ....

This will still display as "wget", but mod_security won't see it
that way.

I totally agree with Jo that mod_security attempts to solve the
problem in the wrong way; it brings too many unpleasant surprises
to people who are attempting to do normal things (and few clues
as to why it's not working).  On one of my bigger sites with several
hundred authors and over 100K pages the system admin enabled
mod_security, which had the unfortunate side effect of blocking
any edits containing accented characters.  Since many of the authors
had accented characters in their names, it was a bit annoying
and of course the authors had no clue as to why it would sometimes
things would work and other times they wouldn't.