[pmwiki-users] RFC: PITS 00701 -- WikiFarm confusion

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Mar 14 09:36:47 CST 2006

The following message was just posted to PITS (#00701), and I need
help coming up with good answers.

>From PITS 00701:
> I've read and reread the Wiki Farms installation, all of them,
> i've been trying to figure it out to no avail. i understand how
> they are suppose to work, but the explanation of how to install
> one, seems like it misses huge chunks out. or uses alot of
> jargon, if anyone can point me to a easier explanation, or
> even a zipped install farm structure i'd be very greatful.

Personally, I find the PmWiki.WikiFarms instructions to be
just about as straightforward as they can be, but I totally
admit that I'm not representative in this respect.

On the other hand, I've read some of the other farm setup
instructions that others have posted on the mailing list and
in the Cookbook, and they often seem to me to be confusing and
possibly needlessly complex.

Thus I fear WikiFarms may be in a somewhat similar situation as the
CleanUrls recipe, where people can envision many different ways
to solve a similar problem, and PmWiki happens to be flexible
enough to support most or all of them, and so we don't have
a clear set of instructions for it.

So, I could use some help here from people who have set up
WikiFarms and struggled with it -- what is it about WikiFarms
(and the associated documentation) that is confusing?

Or, if you aren't running a wiki farm but have been curious to
try, now would be a great time to do it --  whenever you run across
something that is confusing or doesn't make sense, post the
question to the list and we'll see if we can explain it (and
improve the docs so that the question doesn't arise in the future).

Comments?