[pmwiki-users] Fwd: Re: RFC: PITS 00701 -- WikiFarm confusion

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Wed Mar 15 12:27:04 CST 2006

*** forwarded as requested ***

Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 13:18:21 -0500
From: "David Gilbert" <nepherim at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [pmwiki-users] RFC: PITS 00701 -- WikiFarm confusion

My apologies for sending this off-list, but my outgoing SMTP
connection just died. If someone could forward this to the list I'd
appreciate it.

Neil Herber wrote:
 > At 2006-03-15  12:48 PM -0500, DaveG is rumored to have said:
 >>> * A field is a single wiki with a unique URL. Each field lives in its
 >>> own directory.
 >> I'd remove the first sentence. It adds little. Thus:
 >> "Each field lives in its own directory, which is usually outside of
 >> the pmwiki farm directory."
 >
 > Except that under my definitions, there is no such thing as a "farm
 > directory". There are just fields which together form a farm. One of
 > those fields is special, in that the code lives there - the home field.
Something Jo raised is that perhaps fields shouldn't have special
cases. Perhaps a field is simply a separate wiki installed outside of
pmwiki/ that shares a common code base. I think looking at it like
this clears a lot of the confusion.

 > The fact that the URL is unique is important, because if it is not, then
 > why use a farm? If an admin wants to segregate pages without creating a
 > new URL, they should be using groups.
The goal of farms is to separate wiki's, both content and potentially
administration. The fact that it uses a separate URL is an important
side affect of that, but is probably not the goal in most cases.
That's why I'm suggesting removing it, or merely adding it as a side affect.