[pmwiki-users] no umlauts in wikilinks

noskule noskule at gmx.net
Thu Mar 16 07:32:00 CST 2006

Patrick R. Michaud schrieb:

>On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 04:26:19PM +0100, noskule wrote:
>

>>hi list
>>I allways have the problem that umlauts are not  correctly working. If I
>>install a new version of pmwiki and make a link
>>
>>[[Über Uns]]
>>
>>the link looks correct but the pagename changes to "BerUns" . On
>>pmwiki.org it works like it should but not on my hostingacount. Dos
>>anyone have a hint whats wrong?
>>

>Your hosting account's libraries aren't recognizing Ü as being a letter.
>Such information is normally stored in the "locale" libraries in the
>OS; but if the hosting provider doesn't bother to supply them,
>then PHP doesn't think of accented characters as being letters
>(or know how to do case conversions, or a number of other things).
>
>Try explicitly setting a locale in local/config.php.  For example,
>for German try one of:
>
>    setlocale(LC_ALL, 'de_DE');
>    setlocale(LC_ALL, 'german');
>    setlocale(LC_ALL, 'de');
>
>The pmwiki.org site essentially does the equivalent of
>
>    setlocale(LC_ALL, 'en_US');
>
>(the en_US locale on my systems does understand the Latin-1 alphabet).

I hade to set:

setlocale(LC_ALL, 'de_CH.ISO8859-1');

 so it works korrect, like in pmwiki.org. Only define' de' or 'de_de'
idint work.

I dont no if this is a hostingspecific behavor, so some german wikiusers
maby give a feedback if umlautlinks are correctly working on there
system and if they have to set the config above. Eventualy we could
update the german docu . ..