[pmwiki-users] %newwin% usage

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Mar 17 11:07:44 CST 2006

On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 11:59:49AM -0500, Scott Connard wrote:
> I have seen %newwin% written up on some Links page, but did not find
> it on the Master Markup page.
>
> Of course I needed to learn details about it because I obviously
> didn't understand its behavior from the limited documentation I did
> find.  Setting %newwin% prior to a link causes that link to open in a
> new window, but it also affects all the other links in that paragraph
> (or some following clump of text).  Eventually it reverts back to
> normal, but I don't know when.

%newwin% is an example of a wikistyle, such as %red% or %blue%.

A wikistyle normally affects all text up to the end of the markup
line or the next wikistyle.  Thus:

    %newwin% [[Link1]]  [[Link2]]

causes both Link1 and Link2 to open in new windows, while

    %newwin% [[Link1]]  %% [[Link2]]

means only Link1 opens in a new window.  And

    %newwin% [[Link1]]
    [[Link2]]

does the same, since the end of a line ends the current wikistyle.

Block wikistyles are a little different, in that they apply to
the entire block (i.e., paragraph or list):

    %block red%  This text is red %blue% this is blue %% this is red again

Hope this helps.