[pmwiki-users] Minor question regarding the definition of "Wiki farm"

kjettil kjettil at wanadoo.fr
Sun Mar 19 05:39:11 CST 2006

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
> Could we come up with a slightly different definition which says something
> more along the lines of:
>
> 	A WikiFarm is a way to run one or more wikis on a single web
> 	server,	where the wikis share a set of common components.

I believe the 'PMWiki engine' (cf defs in the current
PmWiki/WikiFarmTerminology) could be stored in a subdomain, eg. in
pmw.example.com, and the various 'wikis' in their own directories under
www.example.com (/wiki1/, /wiki2/, etc).

If you plan, expect or 'fear' that in the future you will host more than
one 'wiki' in your domain(s) on the same server, then it would be
pertinent to already from beginning start with a 'WikiFarm', having the
engine in the subdomain and the first 'wiki' in 'www.example.com/wiki1/'.

I therefore conclude that the first part of Christian's 'slightly
different' definition makes a lot of sense.

kjettil