[pmwiki-users] Minor question regarding the definition of "Wiki farm"

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Mar 19 12:15:03 CST 2006

On Sun, Mar 19, 2006 at 12:39:11PM +0100, kjettil wrote:
> christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
> > Could we come up with a slightly different definition which says something
> > more along the lines of:
> >
> > 	A WikiFarm is a way to run one or more wikis on a single web
> > 	server,	where the wikis share a set of common components.
> >
> I believe the 'PMWiki engine' (cf defs in the current
> PmWiki/WikiFarmTerminology) could be stored in a subdomain, eg. in
> pmw.example.com, and the various 'wikis' in their own directories under
> www.example.com (/wiki1/, /wiki2/, etc).

While this is indeed one way to do it, it's not necessarily the
only way.  Equally as common (or more common) is that the farm is
stored in a directory, and the various wikis are placed in
different subdomains altogether:

     http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/
     http://www.cclug.org/wiki/
     http://www.pmichaud.com/wiki/

> If you plan, expect or 'fear' that in the future you will host more than
> one 'wiki' in your domain(s) on the same server, then it would be
> pertinent to already from beginning start with a 'WikiFarm', having the
> engine in the subdomain and the first 'wiki' in 'www.example.com/wiki1/'.

As Neil mentions later in the thread, part of the attractiveness of
WikiFarms (and PmWiki) for new administrators is that it's okay to
not have to have such a plan in place in advance.  It really is
no problem to start with a single wiki install, and then move the
wikis around later on -- even changing .../wiki/ to .../wiki1/ if that's
what is needed or desired.