[pmwiki-users] wiki farm terminology

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Mon Mar 20 06:45:07 CST 2006

At 2006-03-20  10:07 AM +0000, Hans is rumored to have said:
>This possibility of WikiFarms needs at
>least to be mentioned somewhere, it is not necessarily self-evident,
>same as it is not self-evident that you can set up wikis on different
>domains.

Hans

Have a look at "why use a farm" on
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/WikiFarms. I added in some bulleted
items which I hope address this very good point.

I do not believe that there needs to be a separate word for different
types of admins. The way that administrative responsibilities are
divided can be very complex.

For example, giving someone the admin password to a wiki does *not*
allow them to add new skins or cookbook recipes. For that, they need
to have FTP access to the wiki directory, which would be a different
user name and password. Do we then need a different word for these
kinds of admins?

Unless I am sadly mistaken, there is only one admin password per
wiki. There is a farm-wide admin password in farmconfig.php, but it
is overridden by the admin password in a wiki's config.php file. So
even if you call me a farm admin, I may not be able to do anything to
one of the wikis in the farm unless I know its admin password, and it
is the person with FTP access to its config.php file that sets that password.

I say stick with "administrator" and qualify with capabilities - but
not with the word "farm", because it is not clear what that means.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668