[pmwiki-users] Minor question regarding the definition of "Wiki farm"

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 18:31:56 CST 2006

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006, H. Fox wrote:

> On 3/20/06, The Editor <editor at fast.st> wrote:
> > PS. I do  find the distinction between a field wiki and the home wiki
> > missing, and perhaps an unnecessary loss of clarity. Perhaps it should
> > be the preferred "optional" term for those who feel a need to make
> > such a distinction.
>
> I agree that there should be an easier way to say "a wiki that isn't a
> home wiki".  Something like "satellite" or "remote" or ???

Actually, "master wiki" sounds better to me than "home wiki", particularly
since the master wiki's "local" skins etc are actually the global skins.

But do we really need a master wiki and this distinction? Isn't what we
have just a side effect from doing a single wiki installation, as opposed
to satisfying a specific purpose?

I'm not suggesting that we prevent people from having a master wiki, but
it'd be nice if it could be worked around with some extra effort. It's
late here, but I imagine one way to work around it is to move the master
wiki's wiki.d/-directory to another location. (This might require a new
URI of course)

/Christian