[pmwiki-users] wildcard user name in authuser

Jon Haupt jhaupt at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 09:04:16 CST 2006

On 3/21/06, Tegan Dowling <tmdowling at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/21/06, Neil Herber <nospam at eton.ca> wrote:
> > I have a new wiki in my farm that needs to be protected by a read
> > password. All users will share the password.
> >
> > When a user first enters the site, I want to present a login screen
> > asking for a user name and password.
> >
> > Since the password is shared, *any* user name should be accepted. I
> > want the username that is entered (authid, I think) to be used to set
> > the Author name on any edits.
> >
> > How do I do this with PmWiki 2.1.3 ?
>

>  Did you try it?  The AuthUser version I ran on a few of my V2.0.12 wikis
> worked just that way - I could set a read-password via ?action=attr or in
> the config, and a user could put any old name in the Username field; it
> would be accepted as long as they knew the secret handshake.

Neil's only problem is he needs to be able to require a username with
the password - ANY username.  So you need to figure out how to do the
code that requires an author name in the edit window, when logging in.

You could also simply but roughly, write in the login text
($AuthPromptFmt) that a username is required, and just hope people
actually follow through.  This would be the easy way and if your users
follow the instructions they wouldn't have anything to complain about.

At any rate, there's no problem just requiring a password to be logged
in using AuthUser.

Jon

--
Jon Haupt