[pmwiki-users] Wiki speed diferences, no apparent reason

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Wed Mar 22 07:09:05 CST 2006

Philip Stitt schrieb:
> Sometimes my website is unbearably slow. It will get that way for about
> 20 to 30 minutes at a time. If I spend all day working on my site, I'll
> see this happen maybe 5 or 6 times during the day, sometimes more.

I have a similar phenomenon. PmWiki pages are sometimes really, really slow.

I don't know whether that's Apache, FastCgi, or PmWiki. Getting this
sorted out would require some measurement facilities that I'd have to
obtain somehow (I'm pretty sure they exist, I just haven't found the
time to investigate yet - pointers appreciated).

Well, for the moment, the best would be some kind of log that writes
PmWiki's processing times to some kind of CSV file. That way, one can
see whether the lags are due to PmWiki or outside, and if they are
within PmWiki, we might be able to correlate the slow requests with
specific pages, or specific query strings, or various kinds of system
load (memory/CPU load, number of active Apache processes, and whatnot).
Again, I'm not sure how to best do that.

> My specific problem aside, I was thinking about a page on PmWiki.org
> devoted to the issue of speed performance with PmWiki, [...] What do
> you think about having a page like that?

Methinks it should be a PITS page.
If there are any speed issues, that is :-)

(I know that PM keeps a close eye on performance.)

Regards,
Jo