[pmwiki-users] Page with contents of a list

Bronwyn Boltwood bronwyn at bronwynb.info
Wed Mar 22 21:03:19 CST 2006

On 3/22/06, Greg <scratch at keeptherubbersidedown.com> wrote:
> This results in a blank page for me.
>
> Where should I look in the docs? This may help me learn.

Likely you don't have the include format for pagelists; I don't think
it's one of the defaults.

You need to look at
* http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/PageLists -- the main documentation
page for (:pagelist:)
* http://pmwiki.org/wiki/Site/PageListTemplates -- the templates for
pagelist output.  See especially the help section at the top.
* http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/PagelistTemplateSamples -- for
yet more pagelist templates.

Depending on how long your Ride pages are, you might want to use
teasers instead of a full include, in which case you'll need to look
at http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/IncludeOtherPages.  I can tell you
from experience about a couple potholes with teasers:
* include goes by lines of source or in-page anchors, not by numbers of words.
* if any of those source lines are filled with (:title:), conditional
markup, and other things that don't generate any visible output,
include grabs them anyway.  You can end up with less or no teaser than
you expected to, and some weird effects on your pagelist page, such as
messed-up titles, keywords, and so on.

Reminder to self: when client finally pays me, send a donation to Pm.
Earmark half as a thank-you.  Earmark the other half as funding for
features I want, such as "include the first N words of content, then
put a Read More link."

Bronwyn