[pmwiki-users] no ifs, ands, buts, or else ...

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Mar 23 14:48:48 CST 2006

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 03:37:39PM -0500, Neil Herber wrote:
> Do my eyes deceive me?
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/ConditionalMarkup
>
> ... or is there really no (:else if:) or (:else:) construct? It looks
> like the (:if:) as implemented is a variation of  the SSI show and
> hide directives (though not implemented that way).

There's currently no (:else if:) or (:else:) construct.  Part of the
reason is that having one would make people expect nested if's.

> It is a pain to have to write
> (:if cond-a:)  show a
> (:if cond-b:)  show b
> (:if cond-c:)  show c
> (:if cond-d:)  show d
> (:if expr !cond-a or !cond-b or !cond-c or !cond-d:) show something else
> (:if:)

Are cond-a, cond-b, cond-c, cond-d mutually exclusive above?
Or did you really mean to "show something else" if any of
a, b, c, or d aren't true?  (This isn't how I would expect an
"else" to work.)

Or, put another way -- how would you write the above assuming
you did have (:else:) and/or (:elseif:)?