[pmwiki-users] RFC: refactored introduction to wiki markup

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Sun May 7 17:57:59 CDT 2006

This proposal is to alter the way PmWiki markup documentation
is organised, to make it easier for those new to PmWiki to
understand how to use PmWiki markup.

A while ago I started to rework the TextFormattingRules and
BasicEditing pages to create a new and (I hope) more
learner-friendly set of introductory pages about wiki markup.

This has proved to be quite challenging, but I think they
are now in a state where feedback would be useful.

The pages are:

- http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/EditGettingStarted

- http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/CharacterMarkup

- http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/LineMarkup

- http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/LinkMarkup

- http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/BlockMarkup

The pages use these organising principles:
- the EditGettingStarted page (IntroductionToMarkup?) is
  short and clear; it leaves most things out

- the EditGettingStarted page contains a link to more
  information on each kind of markup

- there is one page for each kind of markup

Comments and changes welcome. Is this a useful thing to do?
Do other people find the TextFormattingRules and BasicEditing
pages are not suitable for people new to wiki markup? There has
been comment on the list before that those pages are largely
the same content presented in 2 different ways and why are both
needed.

One thing I would like to propose is to restructure
the TextFormattingRules under major headings Character,
Line, Link and Block markup. Would that be useful?
--
JR