[pmwiki-users] Upgrading & switching sites

Ian Barton lists at manor-farm.org
Mon May 8 05:19:21 CDT 2006

> I need to upgrade to the latest version of PMwiki and transfer contents
> of my wiki to a new site. Any pointers on the best way to do that?
>
> A low-tech solution would be to install the new version on the new site
> and manually transfer contents. Very time consuming.
>
> Alternatively would it be best to transfer the wiki and upgrade on the
> new site, or upgrade on the old site and then transfer.
>
> Pointers for how to effectuate the transfer would be appreciated. I
> imagine it's not as simple as copying and pasting files and folders of
> files.

I don't think it matters if you upgrade before or after transferring. If
your site is hosted on a Unix server I would suggest you tar everything
up (something like tar -cvzf mysite.tar.gz /my_pmwiki_dir). If using
Windows zip the pmwiki directory and all subdirectories.

Unpack the tar/zip file in the new location. Make sure that wiki.d is
writeable by everyone. On unix chmod 777 wiki.d. You will probably also
need to adjust file permissions on the pub directory.

The other thing you need to lookout for is any paths hard coded in
local/config.php, which you may need to change to reflect your new setup.

Ian.