[pmwiki-users] RFC: refactored introduction to wiki markup

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed May 10 17:54:50 CDT 2006

On Thu, May 11, 2006 at 10:27:29AM +1200, John Rankin wrote:
> >e.g. index.  Note, however, that we still have some pages organized by
> >their audience or levels, e.g. basic editing, basic variables, which had
> >made me think that perhaps John's pages should be similarly organized as
> >Basic..., or Introduction...  But that clustering can be done elsewhere,
> >by categories or documentation index pages. <copied>
>
> Yes, IMHO it would be better to put all the pages in the [[!markup]]
> category and use natural names.

One of the issues with putting categories in the distributed docs
is that it "eats" category names that the site might want to use
for other purposes.  It also presumes the existence of something
to display the category listing (which isn't currently the case
in the distribution).

> >4. Is there a better name for the draft page I am working on (an index
> >of markup characters), like MarkupCharacterIndex, or
> >IndexOfMarkupCharacters, or...  (Which suggests whether index pages
> >should be clustered by names)
>
> FWIW I like IndexOfMarkupCharacters.

I think I prefer MarkupIndexByCharacter.  We can then also have
things like MarkupIndexByType or MarkupIndexByFunction (which
presumably replace the MasterMarkupIndex).

More comments on the entire refactoring suggestion in a future
post (probably tomorrow sometime).