[pmwiki-users] Mail Posts -- Self subscribe to "Watch Lists"

Ben Wilson dausha at gmail.com
Thu May 18 18:06:40 CDT 2006

On 5/18/06, Sivakatirswami <katir at hindu.org> wrote:
> Admin mandate:
>  -- Users should be able to subscribe and unsubscriber to such mail
> post options on their own and not sent a request to be added to admin.

The way I did this was to set up a discussion group (similar to the
one that sent this to you. Then, users could chose to subscribe to the
list, which would send updates on a daily basis. This allows tracking
per-wiki updates, unless you:
   1. created a different discussion group per wiki group, or
   2. perhaps found a way to set a "topic" based on group and allow users
      to filter accordingly. Perhaps setting $MailPostsSubject in the
GroupConfig.php

Of the two, the second is more "democratic," which is what we admins
want to a certain degree. That is, we want the users to decide what
they want and how much effort they wish to put into getting what they
want. Therefore, a single discussion list with per-group filtering
allows the user to decide what they want to view. Certainly most
modern email tools can filter, and most users could do this (some may
need a tutorial and a few may need baby sitting).

--
Ben Wilson
" Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur"