[pmwiki-users] HTTP Authentication and use of login name

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri May 19 09:09:54 CDT 2006

On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 03:12:44PM -0700, Hartl, Bob wrote:
> I'm a new user of PmWiki.  I installed PmWiki on Windows using ISAPI.
> So far so good!  I'm using HTTP authentication and I've had success in
> getting the authenticated login name from REMOTE_USER -- i.e. PmWiki
> fills the Author field with this login name.  (I followed advice in
> Cookbook:RequireAuthor, section HTTP authentication.)
>
> I have a WikiGroup, for which I have restricted editing to selected
> login names (as they appear using REMOTE_USER).  My hope is that if the
> user's login name is one of those permitted-to-edit login names, then
> the user is able to immediately edit (without any intervening login form
> from PmWiki).   But I am getting the login form (username and password).
> It seems like I should be able to do this.  Am I missing something easy?

How do you have your site configured for HTTP authentication --
are you using the httpauth.php script in your config.php?

With what you've described, I don't think that an author should
be getting the password prompt after being logged in.  But I'd
need to know a few more details of the setup first.