[pmwiki-users] splash-screen

Tegan Dowling tmdowling at gmail.com
Fri May 19 14:05:00 CDT 2006

On 5/19/06, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 19, 2006 at 10:48:01AM -0500, Tegan Dowling wrote:
> > Client wants visitors, on arrival, to first encounter a page with a
> > big-old, full-screen image, which they click to continue on to the
> > site's Main/HomePage.
>
> The easy way to do this is to have the splash screen at the
> website root, as a normal web page (i.e., http://www.example.com/index.php
> or http://www.example.com/index.html).  Clicking on the page/link
> could then forward the browser to http://www.example.com/wiki/Main/HomePage.
>
> Pm

For someone whose wiki is actually installed in
http://www.example.com/wiki/, that might be a nice and easy solution.

But in fact almost all of our wikis are installed at the root -
HomePage is at http://www.example.com/Main/HomePage.  In Joachim's
reply to my first post, he posited, for the sake of discussion  "Say
the base URL is http://company.com/wiki." and I went along with that
for the rest of the exchange for the sake of consistency.

Maybe that's why I needed to modify the
http://www.example.com/.htaccess file as Américo recommended above in
order to 1) let http://www.example.com/index.php serve up a splash
while 2) still having a way to ever reach the wiki itself - at
http://www.example.com/Main/HomePage.

Thanks!

Tegan