[pmwiki-users] editing pmwiki pages

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun May 21 10:51:04 CDT 2006

On Sun, May 21, 2006 at 05:22:20PM +0200, Erich Hoffmann wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> Using pmwiki for some projects of my own on a local machine (mandriva
> linux 2006) I'm very happy with it.
>
>    Hope I can express what I have in mind. - When editing a page, the
> editor of the browser starts.  But this editor has no macro programming
> at all, no search&replace etc etc and as I am used to emacs and vim I
> miss that a lot.  I know that there is a pmwiki-mode for emacs, but
> with this mode I still have to open the source code file in wiki.d.
> But in this file the line breaks aren't visible (as character %0a, yes,
> but not as a real line break).

I think you're probably using the emacs mode editor wrong.  You're
supposed to use it to edit the web version of the page, not to
edit the files in wiki.d/ directly.  (But I'm not an emacs user,
so I can't say much more about it than that.)

>    But the best solution were that the external editor is started when I
> open the page editing, after the model of kmail perhaps...I tried to
> find a temp-file that is created, but with no success, and googeling
> and perusing the pmwiki-pages didn't say anything.
>
> Is there a solution, or what can I do to make a solution myself?

Normally the way external editing has been done is to make the
editor act more like a browser.  In this, it uses ?action=source
to retrieve the markup source from the PmWiki site, allows the
author to edit that source, and then simulates an ?action=post to
send the edited page back to PmWiki.

You might take a look at PmWikiEdit as a start
(http://www.sci.tamucc.edu/wiki/ScottDuff/PmWikiEdit); one of
us should probably update that recipe for 2.0 and other
features, however.