[pmwiki-users] (:subtitle:) markup

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Sun May 28 10:49:08 CDT 2006

On Sun, 28 May 2006, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

>> 	The page Cars.The00s:
>> 		(:include Site.LocalWikiMacrors#carTitle#carTitleEnd:)
>>
>> I think you get the idea...
>
> Definitely; the possibility of someone doing this is a big part of the
> reason I've resisted changing (:title:) thus far.  On the other hand, if
> we always say "but someone might be doing something like...", then we
> foreclose a lot of opportunities for improvement.  The challenge is to
> come up with the correct default based on what most people will expect
> or want, and then provide a way to override it.

I agree.

Btw, as for "someone might be doing", I was actually doing this two days
ago. At work we're creating several pages with log information where we
want the title to look the same for each page, based on the name of the
page. For instance, let's say the page is called '2006-05', i.e the logs
for this May. Then I could let GroupHeader contain:

 	(:title Logs for {$Name}:)

and I'll get "Logs for 2006-05" as the title. Very convenient.

Anyway, I agree with you on what the most common situation is, so it's
only a matter of how to override this behaviour for my particular case
above.

> In this particular case, using (:include:) to set a title based on
> a macro is only partly useful -- if another page uses [[Cars.The90s|+]]
> or {Cars.The90s$Title} it won't get the custom title.

Ahh.. that explains one of the problems I had. In my case I was using
(:pagelist fmt=title:) and it didn't work, so I created my own specific
format for this case.

Would it be too risky to let (:title ..:) store the resulting title in the
page, so that eg [[Cars.The90s|+]] would work?  I guess we're in the
territory of page attributes now...

> But in the more general case -- the 'fix' to (:title:) is just going to
> be a redefinition of the default (:title:) markup.  If a site admin
> needs the old behavior, they can just define (:title:) back the way it
> was before.

I'd actually like to both eat my cake and keep it in this case... But it's
not a big problem, so maybe you should just go ahead and fix it the way
you've planned.

/Christian