[pmwiki-users] Using descriptions more systematically

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun May 28 10:57:15 CDT 2006

On Sun, May 28, 2006 at 01:52:24PM +0200, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
> It looks promising so far, although I'm having some problems because it is
> not possible to place anything in a description. Or possibly, because it's
> not possible to show anything using just {$Description}. Take a look at
> these two pages for instance:
>
> 	http://pmwiki.org/wiki/TestDescription/ComplicatedDescription0
> 	http://pmwiki.org/wiki/TestDescription/ComplicatedDescription5
>
> Any thoughts on how the situation can improved for these specific
> problems?

The (:description:), (:keywords:), and (:title:) tags don't allow
embedded markup.  They are really intended for use to generate
web feeds, and of course markup isn't allowed in them there.

This is a case where I think that anchors might make more sense
than tags -- i.e.,

    [[#description]]
    This is the description of the page, which\\
    can contain [[markup]] and other features.
    [[#description-end]]

or even

    >>description<< [[#description]]
    This is the description of the page, which\\
    can contain [[markup]] and other features.
    >><< [[#description-end]]

It makes it clear that it's markup, that it will be displayed on
the page (and where it's displayed on the page), and it can
be accessed from other pages by using (:include Page#description:)
as opposed to {Page$Description}.

At any rate, (:description:) is intended for plain text.