[pmwiki-users] Subpages

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Tue May 30 18:06:37 CDT 2006

On Tuesday, 30 May 2006 10:46 PM, Joachim Durchholz <jo at durchholz.org> wrote:
>Dr Fred C schrieb:
>> Subpages might work fine for many applications with some savings in code
>> and parsing.  Perhaps it's a good place to start.
>
>I'd second that.

><snip>
>
>Assume I have a blob of text. With sections and subsections (and
>subsubsections etc.), so that the final sections are manageable chunks
>of text.
>
><snip>
>
>So what I need is a simple way to split a sectioned page into a group
>with subpages. And, vice versa, to join the pages of a group into a
>single sectioned page. (I just noted that the term "subpage" is
>ambiguous in a context with hierarchical groups - it could mean sections
>of a page that are separately editable, or it could mean pages
>of a group.)

Try http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/SubpageMarkup as a modest
starting point.

Note that it adds hierarchical pages, not hierarchical groups.
And it adds one level of subpage only. So instead of splitting
a page into a *group* and subpages, it allows you to split the page
into a *page* and subpages. In your example, you might have a page
called Linux.InstallationInstructions and it could include:

* [[,Step 1]]
* [[,Step 2]]
* [[,Step 3]]

The page Linux.InstallationInstructions,Step3 might include:

... as you saw in [[,Step 1]], the ...

This doesn't do everything you want, but it might be a partial
solution. I have been reluctant to refine it in the absence of
a real use case -- I didn't want to create a solution looking
for a problem.

--
JR