[pmwiki-users] Parentheses are valid URL characters

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed May 31 08:52:40 CDT 2006

On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 02:17:50PM +0200, Roman wrote:
> Parentheses are valid URL characters so $UrlExcludeChars should be
> changed to '<>"{}|\\\\^`[\\]\''

The choice to exclude parens from PmWiki urls by default is/was a
deliberate one -- it was decided that they're quite a bit more
useful when not treated as part of a url:

    [[(http://)google.com]]

    See my home page (http://www.pmwiki.org/index.php).

Note especially that in this last case we don't want the paren to be
treated as part of the url, even though it's a valid url character there.

However, as noted above, a site administrator is free to locally
configure $UrlExcludeChars to allow parens.

Another way to encode a paren in a url is to use %28 or %29, thus:

* http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=PalmSupportKB,ts=Palm_External2001,Case=obj%2836541%29
* http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms131334%28d=ide%29.aspx