[pmwiki-users] PageListVariables

Tegan Dowling tmdowling at gmail.com
Wed May 31 10:21:10 CDT 2006

On 5/31/06, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 30, 2006 at 08:43:32PM -0500, Tegan Dowling wrote:

> > > It's currently described on Site.PageListTemplates, which
> > > is in the "See Also" section of PmWiki.PageLists.  I'm
> > > guessing the information could be added to PmWiki.PageLists,
> > > or perhaps made into a FAQ at the bottom of PmWiki.PageLists
> > > with a link to Site.PageListTemplates.
> >
> > If someone would also please **expand on** the description of its use
> > I'd be very grateful.  This code is far from intuitive, even with the
> > examples right there on the Site.PageListTemplates page.
>
><snip snip excellent material snip>
>
> Hope this helps -- if there are still questions, feel free to
> ask.  If any of this points to ideas about how to improve the
> documentation, feel free to add it.
>
> Pm

Ah!

This: "why {=$FullName} and not {$FullName}?  The answer is that
{$FullName} already has a meaning:  it's the name of the page that is
generating the pagelist -- i.e., the page that has the (:pagelist:)
markup itself.  So, if we had used {$FullName} here, we'd see the name
of the currently browsed page repeated a bunch of times (once for each
entry in the pagelist)."

together with this:

"{=$var} is a page variable of the current entry in the pagelist,
{<$var} is a page variable of the previous entry in the pagelist, and
{>$var} is a page variable of the next entry in the pagelist."

plus your illustrations provided the needed illumination. "in the
pagelist" indeed. It's about using what's displayed in the markup
results to determine what else is displayed in the markup results.  So
damned clever.

Thank you.  Now as for where to put extended explanation - I'm not
clear what you were saying here: "I'm guessing the information could
be added to PmWiki.PageLists,
or perhaps made into a FAQ at the bottom of PmWiki.PageLists with a
link to Site.PageListTemplates."

So, more detail should *not* go with the existing material on
Site.PageListTemplates?