[pmwiki-users] New PmWiki Features Page . . .

Sandy sandy at onebit.ca
Wed May 31 16:13:53 CDT 2006

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

> I'm not a reliable source, but here's eight of the things I hear
> about most often (not really in any particular order):
>
>     1.  Flat file database
>     2.  Customization/plug-in architecture
>     3.  Local customizations survive upgrades
>     4.  Easy to create skins
>     5.  Small, compact core design
>     6.  Easy to install and administer
>     7.  Outstanding community and support
>     8.  Flexible authentication and authorization

I imagine talking to my father. Brilliant man, surfs the web a lot but
hasn't created a site.

1. So what?

2. is the way that 3. is accomplished. Dad would understand 3. but not
2. Or is there something about 2. that I'm missing?

Add:

9. Size of database limited only by server size. (True?)

>>Replace the repetitive phrases in the tables ("Built In", "Plug In" and
>>"Not Yet") with three labeled columns.
>

> Actually, lately I've been wondering if we should just eliminate the
> tables altogether, and immediately following each feature's heading
> write 'Core', 'Plugin', or 'Possible future extension', as well as
> a link to the page that describes the feature in more detail.
>

>>Shorten paragraphs. Chop the veribiage.
>

> I've always especially liked Steve Krug's advice on this,
> which is essentially:   Omit <strike>needless</strike> words.
> Or, as he says, eliminate half of the words, and then eliminate
> half again after that.
>
> Pm

LOL

My favourite advice is to delete your favourite sentence / paragraph.
After that, the rest is easy.

Or:
I'm sorry this letter is so long, but I did not have time to make it
shorter. -- Mark Twain

Sandy