[pmwiki-users] Fields

Crisses crisses at kinhost.org
Sun Nov 5 19:14:11 CST 2006

On Nov 5, 2006, at 3:48 PM, The Editor wrote:

>>> How can I have people register (through a form) themselves and
>>> not go
>>> through me or someone else sp then they can edit.
>
> If you do want to allow users to create accounts, and perhaps collect
> information about each one in order to customize your site based on
> them, and their preferences, you could look at ZAP forms.  For info go
> to www.zapsite.org.
>
> It's one thing to make a form, another to make it do something.  ZAP
> has dozens of snippets you can simply cut and paste which allow to use
> forms to do all kinds of useful things.  Let me know if you need help,
> I'll do my best to provide some support for you.

XesAuthUserDBase has the ability to have users register themselves,
sends them a validation email, and lets the users change their
passwords, or request a new password if they lost theirs.  Right now
it requires MySQL but by tomorrow, the stand-alone user database
version should merge back into AuthUserDBase, and you'll be able to
use it with other databases too (PostgreSQL, SQLite, etc.).

So there are many options.  If you look at the http://www.pmwiki.org/
wiki/Cookbook/XesAuthUserDbase page, you'll get an idea of how this
recipe works, but I suggest waiting a day or two to install, and it
will be on the http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/AuthUserDbase page
as version 2.0.

It depends on what your goals are.  If you want to steer clear of
databases, this is NOT the right option.

Crisses