[pmwiki-users] ZAP chat?

The Editor editor at fast.st
Fri Nov 10 06:09:36 CST 2006

On 11/10/06, Jiri Hladůvka / OBUTEX <admin at obutex.com> wrote:
> Hi Caveman,
> I am not a chat expert but applicating current ZAP features I would try
> such a solution - just an idea:
>
> Entering the room could begin with "knock the door" button which creates
> an individual page
> for that person & chatroom for controling his activity .
> Each post can be saved in a separate page having {$chatroomId}
> {$postId}{$postTime}{$postText} {$postSender} vars

This is a clever idea.  I hadn't thought of it.  But it seems a bit
more expensive than just importing one single page's log.  But then
you could sort by poster, or time, or whatever.

> The chatroom  main page then  refreshes  by  including the individual
> posts (pagelist).

I still think there ought to be a way to autorefresh.  Maybe a markup
for a configurable little javascript functon that checks every x
seconds, for a total of y times before "timing out".  At the very
least, a refresh button that can be manually sent.

> The user can set the age of posts to be displayed.

Good.

> The refreshing would be on the user (pushing the button) as individuals
> need individual time spent to read and write posts and
> it is very unconfortable if the page is changing every now and then
> unintended.

Maybe, but most chatters get used to this.

> The main chatroom page can have a counter of present users and some
> {$lastArchivedTime}.

Yes, but what about people that don't log out?

> When a user enters the room (opens the main page) then if he/she is the
> only person or {$lastArchivedTime}>1 day
> the room cleaning could start which means the old individual pages are
> integrated (appended) into chatroom's archive daily-file
> and then are destroyed. The archive pages can be displayed using another
> button.

Oh, that's a nice idea.  Would take some fancy coding but could work
that into a chat module easily enough.

> The cleaning can be done when the last user leaves the room (pushing the
> button) as well.
>
> The question is how fast and expensive such an approach would be.

Yes, I'm still hoping others will offer their suggestions.  But I must
admit this is a creative solution that would work very easily.  And it
might be adequate for small sites.  Still thinking about it.  Thanks
Jiri!

Cheers,
Caveman