[pmwiki-users] Settling link styles in a wiki group and on a page

Hans design5 at softflow.co.uk
Sat Nov 11 16:46:05 CST 2006

Saturday, November 11, 2006, 10:19:28 PM, H. wrote:

> I missed the subtle difference between using HTMLStylesFmt and
> HTMLHeaderFmt in skin.php.  It's not easy to get that kind of point
> across without over-explaining it.[1]  How about now?

I would prefer it even shorter. Why explain a method in great detail,
just to arrive at the conclusion that there is a a better method which
should be preferred? Even if the logic is compelling.
I would also like to point out the one advantage of the"old method",
namely no skin.php, and to point out the other even worth possibility,
How about this:

!!!Historic note
In the past the "normal" mechanism for styling has been for a skin's
template file to include

<link rel='stylesheet' href='$SkinDirUrl/skin.css' type='text/css' />
<!--HTMLHeader-->

With this method skin styles are loaded before any other styles from
Pmwiki, recipes or local customisations. An advantage is is no need
for a skin.php file, but skin styles can be overridden by other modules.
Another possibilty is to insert a link to load a css file after the
<!--HTMLHeader--> tag. But this is even more problematic, since it
leaves no room for any local customisations to override the skin's CSS
settings. Therefore we recommend the above "preferred method".

Hans

Hans