[pmwiki-users] Play safe...

Neil Herber (nospam) nospam at eton.ca
Mon Nov 13 11:02:50 CST 2006

On 2006-11-13 kirpi at kirpi.it is rumoured to have said:
> And here comes the clue of this thread: the page seems to be a
> password protected one, yet google managed to enter and gather the
> infos within
> http://72.14.221.104/search?q=cache:RRMjp1A_M8EJ:www.clubdellafisarmonica.org/forum/post.asp%3Fmethod%3DReplyQuote%26REPLY_ID%3D772%26TOPIC_ID%3D157%26FORUM_ID%3D2+studiare+fisarmonica+cromatica&hl=it&gl=it&ct=clnk&cd=8&client=firefox-a
> Just about the same behaviour I happened to find with *very many*
> different sites, and many different search engines (google, yahoo,
> altavista,...).

I suspect that the pages used to be open and were password protected
after being indexed by Google. Note that the search is of the Google
cache, and not the actual page.

This is not an uncommon circumstance. You can sometimes use the Google
cache to look at "protected" content on newspaper websites. Many of them
allow you to read current news, but require payment or a password for
archived items. But with Google cache ...

--
Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/