[pmwiki-users] Now and again the odd Permission Denied error after submit page

Crisp, Steve [UK] SCRISP at ngms.eu.com
Wed Nov 15 10:30:21 CST 2006

Dear members,

We are starting to get the odd 'Permission denied' error in our Wiki
when submitting an edit, see below.  This does not happen very often,
but when it does if you resubmit the edits again it works!

************* Example of errror ************************

Warning: rename(wiki.d/.pageindex,new,wiki.d/.pageindex) [
function.rename <http://intranet/pmwiki.php/Products/function.rename> ]:
Permission denied in E:\Apache2\htdocs\pmwiki\scripts\pagelist.php on
line 433

PmWiki can't process your request

no such file

We are sorry for any inconvenience.

************* End of Example errror ************************

I've attached a 'Print' view of our Wiki configuration - it's obviously
a Wiki page itself - what else!  In summary, server-side it's an
Intranet running Windows Server 2003 SP1, PmWiki 2.1.11 and Apache.  Our
Wiki is just over 1200 pages, of which an average change/edit rate is
around 200 per month - around 30 authors.  We've run this configuration
for a long time now (over 12 months) and it works great :-)

The above problem is being reported at an increasing interval so I
assume it may be a race condition or something to do with concurrent
access due to its increasing usage.  The effected code 'line 433 of
pagelist.php' is below.  Please note that I have not modified the PmWiki
code at all apart from the 'normal' customisations as attached.

432:  if (file_exists($PageIndexFile)) unlink($PageIndexFile);

433:  rename("$PageIndexFile,new", $PageIndexFile);

444:  fixperms($PageIndexFile);

445:  $c = count($updated);

446:  StopWatch("PageIndexUpdate end ($c updated)");

447:  ignore_user_abort($abort);

Does anyone have any thoughts on what is going on and/or pointers on how
to fix it?

Thanks in advance,

-Steve.