[pmwiki-users] installing on Apple iDisk?

Jeb Eddy jeb at mac.com
Mon Nov 27 14:06:00 CST 2006

It has taken me a long time to realize it, but the type of web pages
I most want are ones that other people can contribute to and edit
with minimal technology smarts.  Hence Wiki.  I don't exactly
remember how I bumped in to PmWiki; but an educational technology
office at a well known university near here in northern California
recommends it, and that's good enough for me.

I've enjoyed getting started with PmWiki in the past 2+ months,
thanks to the Standalone version that I have been practicing with on
my PC.  Now it's time to try a public site.

But my efforts are not succeeding yet.  Details below.

Thanks in advance,

Jeb Eddy
Palo Alto, CA

============================

I much prefer Macs, and have iDisk space via my dot-Mac account. My
iDisk has two folders -- "Public" and "Sites."  The latter is where
folders and files for my other beginner HTML things go so far.

I think I am following the instructions for installing PmWiki.

-- Earlier today, I downloaded the beta copy of PmWiki, unzipped it,
shortened the folder name to "pmwiki" (all lower case), and dragged
it to the "Sites" folder of my iDisk.  The pmwiki.php script  and the
usual subfolders  are all there.

Then step 3. "Create Directories" says: "Open a web browser to the
pmwiki.php script on the server..."

I typed the ff into my Safari browser:

http://idisk.mac.com/jeb/Sites/pmwiki/pmwiki.php

I get a blank screen, but it downloads the php file to my hard drive.

In Safari I have also tried:
http://idisk.mac.com/jeb/Sites/pmwiki

This tells me that  I need to get Safari 1.3  (I'm using 1.2.4 with
MAC OS 10.3.7).  It also suggests Firefox 1.0.4 and IE 6.    :-(

So I switched to Firefox 1.0.6, but I get a popup window that offers
me the only option of saving pmwiki.php to disk.

Perhaps, methinks, the file-save is happening because of permissions
that are not set right yet.  I want to execute!

Using OSX Terminal, I see that pmwiki.php is "-rwxrwxrwx", which is
correct, I believe.

Oh, at one point some combination of browsers and URLs also gave me
"SC_NOT_FOUND", but I can not reproduce that at the moment.

None of the above attempts to launch created a folder for  wiki.d/
where my pages will go.

So I created it manually, per Instruction 3a.

Again using OSX Terminal, I see that the permissions on this
directory are "drwxrwxrwx", and ditto for the parent directory
"pmwiki".

I think I'm getting close, but...

Am I wrong re iDisk/Sites as an ok home?

Other?

I am eager to join the ranks of so many useful PmWiki sites.