[pmwiki-users] Newbie Installation Question

Thu Nov 30 18:31:37 CST 2006

Sandy wrote:
> David Bengtson wrote:
>> Hi:
>>
>> I think I've got PM wiki installed and configured. I'm using it
>> primarily as a lightweight CMS. I'd appreciate anyone's comments on the
>> installation/configuration of the PM wiki, before I switch over to the
>> wiki.
>> the address is www.keystoneradio.com/wiki/pmwiki.php .
>> I'm using both Google Adsense and Google Analytics to track things and
>> make money for a cup of coffee a month (Cheap coffee...)
>>
>> When everything is fixed, I'll change the index.html to point to the php
>> file.
>>

>> Thanks
>>

>> Dave
>
> That link brings up your site, rather than the pmwiki.php source code.
> What I do see looks ... like it needs a different skin.
>
>  From what I can see, it's running and passwords are enabled.
>
> Check out the CMS ideas in the cookbook to get rid of the Edit links
> (including Edit SideBar) and prevent searches from bringing up the
> PmWiki documentation. There are a gazillion ways to do it.
>
> Are you really changing the file pmwiki.php to customize it? It's newbie
> mistake number 1, and will cause you tons of grief later -- as in, every
> time the program gets upgraded. Check out the installation instructions
> for the index.php wrapper, and Local Customizations for the rest.
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> Sandy

Sandy:

Thanks for the commentary. No, I'm not editing the pmwiki.php source,
I'm editing /local/config.php, which seemed to be the appropriate local
file. I was going to install the Gemini skin to use, and haven't
uploaded that yet. I'll look through the docs per your suggestion.

I've been really impressed at how easy this is to configure. I just
uploaded the files to my Godaddy account, and it worked out of the box.
Very nice. As far as editing /local/config.php, I was going to configure
an editor to remotely edit /local/config.php, but I'm curious as to
creating any security holes when I do that. Any comments?

Thanks

Dave