[pmwiki-users] phpmerge.php doesn't detect removed paragraph as a conflicting change

Jens Schiffler jens.schiffler at gmx.de
Thu Nov 30 20:27:05 CST 2006

** Reply to message from "Patrick R. Michaud" <pmichaud at pobox.com> on Thu, 30
Nov 2006 18:25:52 -0600

> If the inner edit changed something that the outer edit didn't
> modify, then it's not a conflict that the system couldn't resolve
> (and thus it's not highlighted).  Only those places where two
> authors changed identical lines of text are considered "unresolvable".

I see, deleted paragraphs don't show up with diff3 either. But I still think it
would be better to have them presented to the merging user.

> Since pmwiki.org isn't using phpmerge.php, I'd be curious to
> know if you get the same results there.  It would also be helpful
> to know exactly what text(s) are being used.

Here's the output from my test at pmwiki.org/wiki/Main/WikiSandbox

=== Initial state:

First Paragraph - to be changed by editor 1

Second Paragraph - to be deleted by editor 2

Third Paragraph - to be changed by editor 2

Fourth Paragraph - to be changed by both

=== [ save ]

Editor 1: [ edit ]
Editor 2: [ edit ]

=== Editor 2

First Paragraph - to be changed by editor 1

Third Paragraph - changed by editor 2

Fourth Paragraph - changed by editor 2

=== Editor 2 [ save ]

=== Editor 1:

First Paragraph - editor 1 wrote something here

Second Paragraph - to be deleted by editor 2

Third Paragraph - to be changed by editor 2

Fourth Paragraph - something by alskdjf jaslkf j editor1

=== Editor 2 [ save ]

=== Result for Editor 2:

First Paragraph - editor 1 wrote something here

<<<<<<<
Fourth Paragraph - something by alskdjf jaslkf j editor1
=======
Third Paragraph - was changed by editor 2

Fourth Paragraph - was changed by editor 2

=== End Result