[pmwiki-users] Concern about insert vs edit

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Sun Oct 1 22:43:04 CDT 2006

At 2006-10-01  10:23 PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>If the way I'm heading is going to be too confusing, it's not too
>late to change things, but just as people expect the "read" password
>to protect a page from being read (by any action), I suspect we
>want the "edit" password to default to protecting a page from
>being written (by any action).

It may just be a language issue, but I expect "edit" to mean that I
can change what is there on the page while "comment" is akin to
adding marginal notes to an existing page without modifying the original.

One thing that would be definitely bad, would be to have "comment"
privileges grant "edit" privileges (but edit privileges should grant
comment privs.) Perhaps a password and privilege matrix would make
things clearer.

If the author has embedded "commentboxplus" markup on the page, then
they appear to be inviting comments.

If the group footer contains the "commentboxplus" markup (the way I
do it), then the admin has decided to allow comments on that groups pages.

If neither of these applies, then it is a moot point, because you
can't leave comments.

> > With full editing, the edits are invisible unless you look
> > at the history, while with commenting, the edits are immediately
> > visible.
>
>I'm not sure I understand this last statement -- do you mean
>that comments are "visible" because of the box decoration around
>the additions?

Yes, that is exactly what I mean. They have a background color, an
author name, and a time tag at the head of each comment.

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/