[pmwiki-users] Maintaining recipes that require non-relative urls ({*$var})

Pico pmwiki at ben-amotz.com
Mon Oct 2 05:59:41 CDT 2006

When relative urls were introduced there was an acknowledgment that
relative links will "break" skins, such as Triad?  At the time I assumed
that the reference was simply to the fact that the distributed pages
would need to change various links from {$var} to {*$var}, but now I am
realizing that the issue may be bigger than that when it comes to
maintaining and distributing recipes that will work with all recent
various versions of PmWiki: If you "fix" certain links by changing them
from {$var} to {*$var}, what will those new links do on prior versions
of PmWiki (2.1.26 and earlier)?  Since I no longer have any such
versions installed, I missed the opportunity to test that.

I assume that the new (*$var) form will not be properly rendered on
2.1.26 and earlier and thus, skins such as Triad that are distributed
with supporting pages that contain edit links will need some way to
provide different markup for older and newer versions of PmWiki.  Aside
from maintaining and distributing separate recipe files, I assume that
this could be handled with conditionals that test the version number of
PmWiki.  Are there problems with that approach?  Is there a better way?

Pico

--

        __  /
       /   /