[pmwiki-users] PmWiki Magazine proposed Submission/Approval Process

Américo Albuquerque aalbuquerque at lanowar.sytes.net
Mon Oct 2 07:38:28 CDT 2006

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 30, 2006 at 09:01:37PM -0500, Ben Wilson wrote:
>> It sounds like we're almost to the point of having a "Draft"
>> permission level, which is somewhere between "Read" and "Edit." In
>> addition to the "Comment," which sounds like it's a permission in the
>> same ballpark. Should we expect permissions to be (in decending order)
>> Admin, Edit, Draft, Comment, Read?

I might be mixing things a little but it seams to me that a comment is
something you do outside of a page. The comments normally doesn't appear
on the main text but on a separated page. It might be included later
when viewing the page but should not be part of it. That mean Comments
should have permissions outside of the main system but connected to it.
Just because I can read doesn't mean I can comment it and just because I
can write doesn't mean I can comment it. But if I can comment it I must
be able to read it or I wouldn't know what I'm commenting about.

> Just to avoid potential future confusion...
>
> I don't think of permission levels as having an intrinsic "order"
> to them as implied here, nor does PmWiki implement them that way.
> For example, just because someone has permission to add comments
> to a page doesn't automatically imply they can read it.  (Consider
> the case where comments are stored separately from the page being
> commented upon.)
Actually is does exactly that. How can you comment something you haven't
red before?

> Also, "draft" doesn't sound to me like a separate permission level,
> if we need something like this, then it likely will be handled
> in terms of edit permissions on the "-Draft" pages.  But I'm
> still mulling this over (and PmWikiPhilosophy #3 applies here).

I think we're mixing draft pages with draft articles. Draft pages are
pages I'm editing but are not ready to be saved yet. Draft articles are
already saved pages but that are not considered to be finished products.
A draft article can be changed after being saved, an article, when
saved, is supposed to stay read only. If you want to change anything you
write another article stating that it will surpass the previous one.

> Essentially, PmWiki's core permission levels will be read, edit,
> insert (comment), upload, attr, and admin.
>   - anyone with admin permission can do anything
>   - if a page doesn't have an edit password, it uses the read password
>   - if a page doesn't have an insert password, it uses the edit password
>   - if a page doesn't have an attr password, it uses the edit password

Again I say that comment is not the same as insert. When I'm commenting
a page, my comments become read-only. Insert means the person with edit
permissions can change what was inserted. This means that an author can
later change a comment that he/she doesn't like

> It might look to many that this has "insert" and "edit" backwards --
> i.e., that "edit should be a higher level than insert".  But I think
> this is contrary to what authors will expect.  If as a page author
> I put an edit password on a page, I don't expect people to be able
> to later sneak content into the page by using ?action=insert or
> ?action=comment.

Does it means that a person adding a comment expects to see his/her
comments changed or deleted by those who edit the page? This can be true
when "inserting" in a page but can not be true when "commenting" a page

Américo Albuquerque